Tuesday, July 22, 2014

été 2014: July 22

Typical Monday. Fresh start and high hopes for the week.

In my unending quest to lose weight, I have a new goal. We won a trip to Vermont from one of the many sweepstakes I enter frequently. All inclusive, paid, I mean the works. Lucky me, right? Well, I recently scored some pretty awesome thrift store deals to take with me on the trip and I want to look "decent" in them for the folks in Middlebury, Vermont. So I am back on the watch what I eat/healthy/organic kick. (Although I did eat cake yesterday. Pink lemonade cake. 2 pieces.)

I digress. I have been walking Roscoe, our German Shepherd, farther now that he is getting SO much better on the leash. I hope to work up to being able to walk him with the stroller so we can get some real workout on. Chloe's little bird legs just don't seem to hold up to serious walks.

So....I have instated a Meatless Monday. And a meatless every other day for that matter. It is cheaper, healthier, and just plain good for the environment.

Inaugural Meatless Monday Meal

I found this little number from a cookbook I picked up at a thrift store YEARS ago. It has some great easy recipes without a lot of ingredients or steps (which is my kind of cookbook). I am in no kinda way a chef or even a foodie. Just someone who likes to eat delicious food. Without a lot of fuss.

Pasta with Fresh Tomato Sauce

1 teaspoon salt, plus a little more
12 oz. spaghetti, linguine or vermicelli (I used fettuccine)
4 large tomatoes (I used garden tomatoes from my Aunt and Uncle!)
2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
2 large or 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh, minced
Freshly ground black pepper
2-4 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese


Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 teaspoon salt. When it boils, add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until done to desired taste. (I cooked mine for about 8, so that the pasta can soak up more of that delicious tomato liquid.)

At the same time, bring a small saucepan of water to a boil.

When it boils, add tomatoes, one at a time, and submerge for 10 seconds or turn tomato over halfway through cooking to submerge the other side. Remove tomato with a slotted spoon, set aside and repeat with remaining tomatoes. (I did this step first. After submerging my tomatoes I boiled the pasta in the same pot. Cuts down on dishes because I hate dishes. While the pasta was boiling I cut my tomatoes.)

Core all tomatoes and remove their skins (skins should just slip off).  Cut them horizontally and use your finger to scoop out most of the seeds. Cut tomatoes in small chunks.

Heat oil in a wide skillet.  Add garlic and cook over low heat fro 2 to 3 minutes, being careful not to brown it. Add tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper to taste. Cook to heat through. (I simmered mine for about 10 minutes. I wanted all that flavor it cook in together and I wanted softer tomatoes to look more like marinara so my 5-year old would eat it. She won't eat fresh tomatoes.)

When pasta is cooked, drain, toss with sauce and half of cheese.  Top with remaining cheese.

Serves 4.

I like to keep Monday's meals simple. I'm usually lazy to make dinner on Mondays because I'm still recovering from a weekend of not doing that. So...I served this delicious garden fresh main dish with a simple green salad and an everyday homemade French vinaigrette. I found the recipe for the vinaigrette from an awesome cookbook by Dorie Greenspan. Unfortunately, it was a library book so I couldn't keep it and love it forever but this was one of the recipes I took from it as a must try. It reminds me of the dressing I used to have in Paris during my study abroad. This cookbook is definitely on my top recommended list.

You can find the recipe for that HERE and HERE.

I served my vinaigrette with organic romaine hearts by Organic Girl, croutons, and shredded cheddar.

I also purchased some pre-made texas toast from the Food Lion bakery on a whim during my quick T.P. run.

All in all it was a hit. Chloe at most of her pasta, still a little put off by some suspicious red chunks in her pasta. (I tried.) But she did eat 3 servings of salad, so that more than made up for it!


Texas Garlic Toast: $1.99 from Food Lion
Tomatoes: Free! from my Aunt and Uncle's garden
Organic Girl lettuce: Free! (Given to me by my mother-in-law)
Dressing, croutons, parmesan, garlic, olive oil, and salt and pepper : Already had all the ingredients on hand, so semi free.
Cheese: $1.66 from Kroger with .65 off 2 Kroger Best Customer coupon
Basil: Free! from my mother's garden
Fettuccine: $1.00 from Farm Fresh

So I'm saying this meal cost us less than $5.00! Not bad for trying to cut the grocery budget!

I hope you enjoy these recipes. The pasta makes a great summer meal. Delicious and fresh and you won't heat up your kitchen. I think it took me maybe 45 minutes to whip it all up. I didn't even finish the episode of Vampire Diaries I was watching while doing it. That's the kind of Monday meal I like!

Luck and love!
Jillian

No comments:

Post a Comment